Monday, October 29, 2007

The 6th Grade Nickname Game

PLOT SUMMARY I read the book The 6th Grade Nickname Game. This book is about two boys, one named Wiley and one named Jeff. Wiley and Jeff are like brothers. They spend a lot of time at each others houses. They are the "nicknamers in the school" because they like to give almost everyone a nickname. On the first day of school, a new girl comes to school named Cassandra. Cassandra has a passion for the wild life. Wiley and Jeff are both attracted to Cassandra and they both want to be her boyfriend. Since they both like her, they start having a fight over Cassandra. They both use propaganda to make themselves look good and the other look bad. Wiley and Jeff find out that Cassandra doesn't like either one of them. She likes a guy named Iceman. Iceman was an unpopular and boring boy who became popular only after Wiley and Jeff gave him a cool nickname. Once Wiley and Jeff know that Cassandra does not like either of them, they both apologize and things are back to the way they used to be.

CHARACTERS Wiley and Jeff are the two main characters in my book. I think that Wiley and Jeff are both backstabbers because when they both liked Cassandra, they both were show offs and they acted in a mean way toward each other. They both made Cassandra think the other one did something bad.

MY THOUGHTS I thought the book was very clever because not many people are able to make up nicknames. It was also an interesting twist when Wiley and Jeff named Iceman and he then became popular and even stole their girl. I would recommend this book to a person who enjoys silly books.

7 READING STRATEGIES One of the seven reading strategies I used was mental images. For example, when Cassandra walked into Mr. Huge's classroom for the first time, I pictured her spinning into the room making her spider web dress lift up. Her bright orange hair floating while she was spinning. I also picture Wiley and Jeff with their mouth's wide open because they have a crush on her.

AUTHOR My author is Gordon Korman . I have never read any other books by this author, but I thought he was very funny and silly. I also thought Gordon described scenes very well. I could use mental images very easily that way.

No comments: