Sunday, January 27, 2008

Slam

PLOT SUMMARY I read the book called Slam. Slam is about a young black boy named Greg who lives with his younger brother named Derek and his mom and his dad in the hood. He used to go to school in the hood (Carver), but then he transferred to a mostly white school (Latmeir).
Greg is a great basketball player. Greg's nickname is Slam because he can slam dunk like a superstar. Even though Greg is an amazing basketball player, he is not doing to well in school. His grades are slipping and he might get kicked off of the basketball team. It also seems like all Greg's parents do is lecture him about his grades. They don't really ever talk about anything except improving his grades.
Greg goes to the tryouts for his new school's basketball team. Greg ends up playing the coach of the team 1 on 1 and Greg wins. Now the coach has a grudge against Greg and he won't start him, even though he is the best player on the team.
Greg is also worried about his best friend, Ice. Greg and Ice go way back ever since Greg can remember. Greg is worried about Ice because all of a sudden Ice has a whole bunch of cash and Greg doesn't know how he got it. Greg has a theory that Ice has been selling drugs because lately he has been hanging out with some pretty well known drug dealers.
In the end of the book Latmeir ends up facing Carver in a big playoff game. Latmeir wins, so Ice and Greg have a party. During the party Greg talks to Ice about how he thinks that he is selling drugs and Ice admits to Greg that he is selling drugs. Greg tells him how he shouldn't sell drugs and Ice gets mad. They get into a physical fight. Unfortunately, Ice and Greg don't talk for the rest of the book, but Greg is told by Ice's girlfriend that Ice isn't selling drugs anymore.
CHARACTER The main character in Slam is Greg. Greg is a young black boy, living in the hood. Greg is a very caring person in this book. He shows that he is caring by his concern about Ice selling drugs. Greg really cared about Ice and Ice got mad at him just because he cared.
MY THOUGHTS I liked the book a lot. It is one of my favorites. I liked it because the plot was great. I also liked it so much because there was a lot going on all at once. When I was reading it, I never got bored.
7 READING STRATIGIES One of the 7 reading strategies that I used was text to world connection. I was connected to Greg a little bit because I love to play basketball and so does he. He was caring about his friends and I am also caring about my friends.
AUTHOR Walter Dean Myers is the author of my book. He is probably my most favorite author because he writes so nicely and detailed. I also like the plots of his story, they are very clever.

No comments: